Sunday 13 March 2011

Stockwell Day will not run again.

Stockwell Day has announced that he will not be running again. Who knows, maybe I scared him off?

When I began this campaign, I was clear I was going to win the riding in two elections. Now, at the closing of the Day, I know we'll do it in one. Same strategy, quicker tactical work and we start right now.

I want to thank Mr. Day for his years of dedication to what he believes to be the in the public interest. I have had the pleasure of meeting many Members of Parliament over the years, from all parties. There are a few for whom I have no respect and a few who are clearly in “the game” for personal aggrandizement or because their egos and swelled heads are already too big for their hats. But almost all of the people I have met who devote their lives to Parliament do it because they sincerely believe that they are working to advance the public good. We need to acknowledge that public service, and especially the life of an MP, is difficult, demanding, and especially hard on families. And I extend my gratitude to Mr. Day for his work, his diligence and his dedication.

This is not to deny that I believe that Mr. Day and his Reform/Canadian Alliance/”Conservative” colleagues to have been wrong-headed and misdirected from the outset. I believe their electoral tactics and disrespect of parliamentary rules and conventions have done a disservice to our democracy. I am committed to rebuilding the government of Canada so that it earns again our confidence and trust.

I have been asked what motivates me to be politically active and why I seek this job. It’s simple, really. To serve the government of Canada has always seemed to me to be the highest honour as citizen could seek, and I have been preparing to do so for most of my life. I have well developed and articulated positions on many issues of Canadian public policy - but these policy goals are only effects of my purpose rather than the purpose itself. I have always tried to live a right life. This was clarified for me twelve years ago, when I was privileged to attend a lecture by the Dalai Lama. He told me, along with several thousand others, not to lose sight of the goal of a human life: to be happy. And he told us the way to be happy: “Do no harm; do good; do good for others.” That simple observation changed the way I think, feel and act. Money, power, status – these need not be our main drivers. Happiness is the goal we all seek. And if that’s all we need - to do no harm, do good, and do good for others - then we can all find it. This is my motivation.

Political office is the right way, now, for me to live to those ideals. And with all the respect due to Mr. Day, Mr. Strahl, and the rest of the Conservatives, it’s time to bring those ideals back to Canadian politics. I will not support ministers, Liberal or other, who breach their responsibilities – that is doing harm. I will not be part of divide-and-conquer tactics – that’s not doing good. I will argue with force and effect for broad rather than narrow political agendas, for consideration of the public at large rather than attention focussed only on “core” voting groups – that’s not doing good for others. The rules are simple, unambiguous, and easy to follow.

Time is short. Our nomination meeting is on Tuesday March 28, by which time we may already be well into an election. So, over the next couple of weeks, I will be working both to win the nomination and to generate momentum for the campaign. Many people in the riding have asked about my feelings on public issues – I will use this blog to repeat my responses. You will see that I take a different approach to federal politics, based on the principles I live by. If you are a Liberal in Okanagan-Coquihalla, I ask for your support at the nomination meeting, and I`d love it if you would join the election team. I am open and ready for your questions and comments – please email me at kidder@telus.net, phone 250-453-9590, or add a note to the discussion on this blog or on my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/John.Kidder.Campaign.

1 comment:

  1. John - what are you hearing from your calls to the Liberal members in the riding? Most discussed topics? what are you learning from them?

    ReplyDelete