Monday 21 February 2011

Up and Running

Welcome ~

John Sidney Kidder is my name (please call me John).

I am seeking support to win the Liberal nomination for the federal riding of Okanagan - Coquihalla. With less than a week to sign up memberships to the Liberal party and then to join me at the nomination meeting expected on Tuesday, March 15th, I need your help today. If you, family, friends or colleagues from the riding would like to help nominate me by joining the Liberal Party to renew or to begin a new membership, please click on Membership. Then please carry on to my Nomination form to nominate me.

I am opposed to many of the directions our government is taking. In almost every policy decision, I see our government tending towards secrecy rather than openness, division rather than inclusion, authority rather than freedom, private interests rather than public. I see ideologically-based political tactics intended to ensure electoral success, rather than a strategy for sound government. I want to be a part of replacing this government with one that better reflects Canada and Canadians.

Many people have asked "Why would you run against Stockwell Day, a sitting minister - you are bound to lose"? I answer: because I can, and because I have a clear focused strategy to defeat him in two elections. When I do, I will serve and represent my constituents in parliament with strong determination, clear policy decisions and passionate drive. I will do this work with kindness, goodness and great care, holding the personal, business and community needs of others as my first order of business.

I was born in the North, grew up in the East and came of age in the West. I have been privileged to live, be educated and work all across this country. My father was a Progressive Conservative miner, my mother was a CCF/NDP history teacher, so I come by my centrist Liberal roots honestly. We moved often from towns to mining camps to cities - since I was young I have felt a great loyalty to all of Canada, and have aspired to the honour serving as an MP would bring.

My background makes me familiar with much of the country, and helps me to be understanding of and sympathetic to many Canadian issues. My French is no longer perfect, but will come back with practice. My many jobs and careers help me to hear clearly and talk openly with people from all walks of life. From businessman to bureaucrat, from working cowboy to software developer, as fish plant worker, governance expert, technology pioneer and folk festival director, I have done and loved them all. I have helped individuals and agencies reach consensus on complex issues of environment and land use, and on contentious matters in both community and political organizations – these confirm my desire and my abilities to be engaged in constituency work and policy development. My education is broad and deep; years of university and graduate study, and more informal and self-taught. I have been a member of the Liberal party of Canada since 1980, and have found great pleasure in working on many federal and provincial campaigns and leadership races for some of our country’s finest men and women.

I am a son, eldest brother to five siblings, uncle to many, father of three grown children, grandfather of three. I was married for 32 years to my wife Siri, who died from cancer in 2009. In my spare time I read, write, ride, play guitars and sing, and maintain 10 acres at Ashcroft in the dry interior of BC.

I believe that it is the duty of every citizen to do what he or she can to contribute to the public good within the capacity each holds to do so. Each of us makes a contribution in our way - when we raise our children with a sense of what is right and wrong, when we are fair and open in our work and recreation, when we care for family, neighbours and friends in time of need, when we volunteer our resources for community events and organizations, and when we study our options and make choices about our governments and their representatives. Our actions affect the society we live in. And whether it's a full-time job, a lifetime dedication, or simply the criteria we use when choosing a course of action, we all have a responsibility to do our work as citizens. Our civil society and our democracy rests on us taking that duty seriously.

It would be an honour to be a Member of the House of Commons of Canada. The House, in government or opposition, is at this time in my life the best place for me to use the skills I have worked to build. Although I have not yet held elected office, I have trained for this job - travelled, studied, talked, listened and worked at it for years. I have done my homework. Now, the essential public trust between government and citizens is suffering. There is an urgent need for action to help restore integrity where it is lacking. Especially now, I know I can be of real assistance.

I know I would make a true, thoughtful and lasting contribution to our country. I have always kept the public good front and centre, and have tried to live to the highest possible personal and political ethical standards. I will continue to do so for the rest of my days. “Home training will tell”, my mother used to say. I couldn't do it any other way.

I would be delighted to speak with any members of the riding who may be able to assist.

With gratitude,

John

T 250.453.9590
M 604.626.8184
E kidder@telus.net
F Facebook

The Okanagan-Coquihalla electoral district includes Okanagan Falls, Penticton, Merritt, Summerland, Logan Lake, West Kelowna and Peachland and the surrounding areas. Click Electoral District Map for a map of the riding.

Party Membership on-line registration: Membership Forms
Nomination Forms: Nomination Form

For information regarding the Okanagan-Coquihalla Federal Liberal Electoral District Association, please contact Christine Elder, Membership Chair, at elderhudson@shaw.ca, or on 250.494.8548.

3 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    It is a pleasure to see a person with excellent credentials running for the Liberal to unseat Stockwell Day. I wish you the very best and should you be successful in obtaining the nomination you will have my support in the campaign.

    As a retired police officer the issue that is near and dear to my heart is the gun registry and maintaining it. Many officers along with myself fought hard for more gun controls from the early 80's. Sadly it took a madman to kill 14 defenceless women to see some of our work come to life. Harper and Day have much to say about the present registry but they offer no alternatives. At age 58 I have seen and learned the hard way that more prisions and longer sentences are the answer to keeping our people safe. Only the Liberal Party of Canada offer solutions that I know will work. Compassion and society justice to all, coupled with strong efforts to fight poverty which are the roots of all crimes.

    As a strong Christian I have always been amazed at the Conservatives simple lack of basis understand for our fellow citizens.

    The Kelowna Accord would have done more to halt crime then 10 of Stockwell's super jails.

    All the best

    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay John get ready for your first laugh.

    In the ways of Bev Oda I need to insert the word

    ......." NOT ".......

    Into my previous comment.

    At age 58 I have seen and learned the hard way that more prisions and longer sentences are ......" NOT "..... the answer to keeping our people safe.

    If need be I'll tell Harper I will not do it again. That is I will not say not or write not so as to tie him up into knots.

    If you know anything about us cops you know we have the oddest senses of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George: I'm with you on the gun registry. I know the Conservatives are using it as a "hot button" issue, fllowing the US NRA's tactics, trying to tell ranchers and farmers and hunters that this is a slippery slope to confiscation of their weapons. Nonsense.

    And it ties in directly with the idea that all we need to do is lock more people up and all will once again be right in the world. We see the evidence against this approach in every cvilized country.

    Short-term political tactics obscure their long-term vision. It's all about emotional appeals to their core voters' fears, not about a rational approach to government.

    Thanks for the comments,
    John

    ReplyDelete